SC Appleseed works to maximize health care for the state’s uninsured through policy development and advocacy. Our efforts include removing barriers to Medicaid enrollment, working with legislators to expand the Children’s Health Insurance Program to cover households at 200% of the federal poverty guidelines, and fending off repeatedly threatened cuts to health care programs. When it was clear that the Medicaid agency was slow in enrolling eligible children, SC Appleseed embarked in an extensive outreach campaign, engaging the media and legislators to educate parents about this important health care program.
SC Appleseed joined like-minded consumer and health care groups in canvassing the state to educate the public and policy makers about the need for health care reform, hosting three well-attended town hall meetings. Since Congress passed the Affordable Care Act we are working toward its implementation and how South Carolinians can fully realize its benefits.
SC Appleseed and a broad coalition achieved final passage of a 50-cent increase on the state’s cigarette tax, till then the lowest in the nation, to improve funding of the state’s imperiled Medicaid program.
Throughout its health care advocacy, SC Appleseed has called on South Carolina’s leaders to overhaul the state’s patchwork revenue system, so that it can continue to fund critical health care services. We work to safeguard the integrity of all these programs, to eradicate barriers that would impede beneficiaries from receiving their intended benefits. Advocates and legislators regularly consult our staff to ensure that informed, fair, consumer-friendly policies are developed and maintained.
- 30 Questions to Ask About Managed Care and EPSDT
- Behavioral Health Medicaid, Managed Care and Children
- Emergency Medicaid for Immigrants
- End-of-Life Healthcare
- Expanding Medicaid Makes Financial Sense for South Carolina
- Guardianship Planning
- If South Carolina Does Not Expand Medicaid
- Medicare and the New Health Care Law
- Medicaid Expansion Good for Older Adults
- Medicaid Expansion is Good for Children
- Medicaid Expansion Will Help Close the Health Care Gap for African Americans in South Carolina
- Medicaid Expansion Would Help South Carolina’s Veterans
- Medicaid Facts
- Medicaid Facts (Spanish)
- Medicaid Managed Care: 20 Questions to Ask Your State
- Medicaid Managed Care: Enrollment and Education
- Medicaid Managed Care: Services
- Medicaid Managed Care: Grievances and Appeals
- Medicaid Managed Care: Financing
- Proof of Identity for Prescriptions / Prueba de Identidad para Recetas Médicas
Manuals, Reports and Policy Papers
- SC Medicaid Manual Table of Contents (manual for order)
Stay up-to-date by following our blog SC Health Care Voices