South Carolina Appleseed Legal Justice Center is a forceful and respected advocate for low-income South Carolinians on issues such as housing, education, hunger, public benefits, domestic violence, immigration, health care and consumer issues. SC Appleseed is dedicated to effecting systemic change wherever we can do the most good – in and through the courthouse, legislature, administrative agencies, community and the media. We grow our impact by helping others do the same through education, training and co-counseling.
In recent years, SC Appleseed has devoted its time and resources to several major projects. Some are obvious, such as upholding individuals’ rights to food, shelter, education and access to justice. Others have developed as community members have come forward and requested assistance on issues such as immigrants’ rights. Follow the links below to learn more about our advocacy and policy work in each of these areas:
- Collatoral Consequences
- Consumer Protection
- Education and School Discipline Policy Reform
- Housing and Homelessness
- Impact Litigation
- Kids at Risk
- Pro Bono Initiatives and Partnerships:
- Laywers4Vets | a pro bono legal clinic for lower-income Veterans in South Carolina
- SignupSC | a resource for individuals, families and advocates in South Carolina to better understand how the healthcare Marketplace works.
- Applepages Initiative | a full service resource of addiction recovery services in SC.